Behind the Wall (dedelmu) is consolidated as a theoretical-practical training program that seeks social harmony, from the interactivity incited by the transdisciplinary and collaborative character of contemporary art. The exhibition in the area of the traditional boardwalk is didactic per se: the managers of this process and the recipients of it, become educators and / or students of different subjects. More, dedelmu prefers to use other stratagems that underline his non-profit socio-cultural projection. To do so, it transcends its temporality as a happening at the Havana Biennial and manifests itself before, during and after a series of workshops: specific trades and knowledge are taught that the surrounding population demands to channel spiritual and material needs. In this way attention is directed to problems, barriers and / or social gaps that affect children, adolescents, young people, seniors and / or special protection groups, to bet on the value of projects of this type in the development comprehensive personality, social cohesion and citizenship.
A characterization of the neighborhood was made by identifying the socio-economic, historical, cultural and socio-psychological elements that shape their daily life, as a way of approaching the reality of their inhabitants, who should be the main beneficiaries of the interventions that use art as a tool for transformation Social. To this end, fundamentally social, psychological and cultural anthropology research techniques were used to study the different groups and spaces of the Popular Council of Colón, municipality of Centro Habana, where Detrás del Muro takes place, so that throughout the year a important documentary source, which serves as a foundation for the realization of social workshops that will give continuity and tangibility to the process and inspiration to the plastic actions of the artists involved.
• Poor living conditions, with poor technical condition of homes, water networks, sewerage and roads.
• Instability in public services, highlighting garbage accumulations.
• Low level of income, dependent on paid state jobs, the small private initiative and the informal economy.
• High disengagement from study and work in all age groups.
• Expression of antisocial behaviors with legitimization of strategies to increase income associated with crime.
• High percentage of abuse of alcohol and other substances.
• Psychosocial traits defined by gender, such as machismo and the naturalization of violence.
• Deterioration of the neighborhood identity with a devalued image of itself and the community from the stigmatization from inside and outside.
• Spiritual and material impoverishment with a normative vacuum in the neighborhood.
Sociocultural intervention strategy:
Orient the attention of the project towards the problems, barriers and / or social gaps that affect children, adolescents, young people, senior citizens and / or special protection groups, to promote the consideration of culture as one of the main elements in the integral development of personality, social cohesion and the development of citizenship.